walking accommodation scotland
walking accommodation scotland, b&b scotland, inverness walking accommodation, bed breakfast, guesthouse, holiday acommodation, accomodation, acomodation, scotland, scottish highlands, international, short stay, central, reflexology, nutritional therapy, breaks, vacation, walking accommodation scotland, historic monuments and buildings
Several new buildings were erected in Inverness in the 18th century. Balnain House was built in 1726. The Court House was built in 1789. In 1791 a steeple was built to be part of Inverness prison. It still stands. Inverness Academy was built in 1792.
However most of the houses in Inverness in the 18th century were still simple huts. Most had thatched roofs and many had clay floors.
During the 18th century Inverness continued to be a busy port and market town. Citadel Quay was built in 1732. There was also a flourishing brewing industry in Inverness. Whiskey distilling first became important in the late 18th century. The first bank in Inverness opened in 1775.
Thornbush Quay was built in 1817. The Caledonian canal was built in 1822 to link east and west Scotland. However it was not a great success. The railway reached Inverness in 1855. It boosted the town because if made it much easier for tourists to reach Inverness and easier to transport goods from the town to other parts of Britain.
There were several improvements to Inverness in the 19th century. Inverness gained its first newspaper in 1808. Inverness gained gas light and a water supply. However even at the end of the 19th century many houses in the town had thatched roofs and some still had clay floors. The first public library in Inverness opened in 1883.
The Ness Bridge, which had stood since the 17th century was destroyed by a flood in 1849. It was replaced by a new bridge in 1855. Meanwhile a second bridge called Waterloo or Black Bridge was built in 1808. Infirmary Bridge was built in 1879.
During the 19th century industries in Inverness included shipbuilding, rope making, sail making, tanning and wool. In 1817 a sheep market began in Inverness.
By the early 20th century Inverness had a population of 21,000. Inverness doubled in size during the 20th century.
The British cabinet met outside London for the first time in 1921 when it gathered in Inverness Castle.
In the 20th century industries in Inverness included distilling, shipbuilding, tweed and engineering. In the late 20th century industry diversified.
Inverness continues to be a busy port. Today the main imports are oil and timber.
Furthermore tourism is now a major industry in Inverness. Eden Court Theatre opened in 1976. Inverness Kiltmaker Exhibition opened in 1994. Inverness is also a regional shopping centre. Eastgate Centre opened in the 1980s.
A new Ness Bridge was built in 1962. Kessock Bridge was built in 1982.
Inverness was made a city in 2000.
The Eastgate Centre was greatly enlarged in 2003.
Today the population of Inverness is 42,000.
In 1868, the railway was brought down Badenoch and Strathspey. This was the original connection between the south and Inverness. Initially it ran from Aviemore past Boat and split - one side going onto Grantown on Spey past Broomhill and thence to Forres and the other staying on the Nethy Bridge side of the river and continuing down to Elgin and thence up to Inverness. At its junction with the Ferry at Gartenmore houses were built - the village of Boat of Garten. Subsequently the ferry disappeared and the predecessor to the existing bridge was also built. Hence Boat of Garten.
The surrounding areas are literally littered with remnants of the Picts for example, the Sustrans route through the village and along Deshar Road has had to divert just by the school because it would have gone over a Bronze Age Hut circle.